So.... celebrate the little victories, right? Even as it seems that every stinking little thing that possibly CAN hold us down and back as a family is doing its damnedest to do so? *sigh*
In other news, I had to write a "personal narrative" about my experiences with oppression and privilege as an assignment for that class. I'd been hoping to get it written more than a week ago but because of everything (health issues, family issues good and bad, etc etc etc) I didn't manage to write it up until the day it was due though I'd had it entirely brainstormed that entire time. It was due at midnight (the deadline was extended for reasons I don't know since I wasn't in the classroom but I saw the email, was originally due Thursday last) and I sent the email in the afternoon so it was in "early" still at least. 6-8 double space pages requested... I removed line breaks between paragraphs to get it DOWN to 8 pages ;) I *might* share it, not sure.... it's rather long, but then again I do tend to write in novel-length even for blog posts and emails.
Then, today, my husband overslept and woke up Thing 2 and Thing 3 about 2 hours earlier than they normally wake as he was fumbling around kinda noisily trying to get out of the house as quickly as possible. Which meant *I* had to be up and at peak mobility hours before I really was physically capable of that. Which means I'm in an entirely crappy mood today and delaying yet again important phone calls and interactions I need to be having to get this oppression issue taken care of, because I do NOT think I am capable of a productive professional phone conversation at the moment, which was the problem for most of the last week plus. But no, the baby in class "problem" has NO relation to my disability. None at all.
I'm also in a crappy mood over the attitude I'm getting from some of my feminist "elders" (some, definitely NOT all, and I don't even think a majority) that is along the lines of "well, we struggled when we were moms of young babies and trying to have professional lives at the same time, so why do you expect any better? We'll commiserate with you that it sucks while looking at you like you're a total moron for expecting any better and not doing anything AT ALL to try to improve the situation for you or the women that come after you because WE fought OUR fights in that regard already...." Most recent conversation along those lines was with the family doctor yesterday, who breastfed her own child while doing her medical residency and so thinks that justifies MY having to put up with all this crap in my graduate program now, even as she herself the mother of an adolescent daughter.... Seriously, ladies, do you WANT your own daughters and grandchildren to be put through this same crap that you and I experience in trying to be good mothers? If you can't muster yourself to do it because it's happening NOW and to someone who ISN'T your relation, can you maybe muster just a LITTLE bit of preventative medicine for YOUR OWN??? Commiserating without further action is just a waste of my limited energy.
I also keep getting the "Oh, you've got so much on your plate already, why are you 'picking' this fight on top of all that?" kind of comments. One, I'm not effing PICKING this fight, I'm just not surrendering in a fight that's been brought. I will NOT wean my child - potentially setting him up to have worse health down the line from the genetic heritage he gets from me and my husband (we're both also asthmatic on top of my physical disabilities, Journal of Breastfeeding Medicine, Vol 1 Issue 4 has an article addressing the importance of exclusive breastfeeding for babies with an asthmatic parent for those who need academic/scientific validation to do the biologically normal thing). Or suggest that I should just pump - for what amounts to a less than 3 hour separation from my baby, I should waste my limited energy reserves on making sure there is a bottle of pumped milk (which I don't even know he'd readily take, he's never had a bottle because there is no logical reason to go through the hassle to force one on him, making him wait for it to be warmed and create extra dishes to wash and such, when my breast is always ready at exactly the right temperature without extra washing), as well as having to haul a breast pump and then expressed milk (which will likely get forgotten in the vehicle when I arrive home because I'm usually pretty out of it by the time I get home until I get a bit of "downtime" to recharge, and one of the sure-fire ways to have a SERIOUSLY pissed off lactating woman on your hands is to tell her that a bottle of her pumped milk has been allowed to spoil instead of being consumed). Like I NEED more crap to haul around with me (or more likely, forget at home on my way to campus, seeing as I've come close to forgetting my entire backpack with laptop and coursework in it numerous times). All for SOMEONE ELSE'S preferences, and alleged liability issues (which, as I've stated, in a university that does human subjects research in various departments including my own, is rather a bogus claim to make "oh our liability insurance wouldn't cover injury to your child if there was a fire or something". That sets my bullshit detector off full blast).
What. Ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated, primarily because I'm intentionally not using my & other individual's real names. Please respect that. As long as that isn't violated I will publish your comment when I get around to it (I am rather busy) unless it is clearly abusive to others - if it's abusive to me, I will post it and then mock you mercilessly without letting you reply.... bwahahaha!